[DRBD-user] drbd9 build for centos 6.5

cgasmith at comcast.net cgasmith at comcast.net
Thu Jan 9 09:27:28 CET 2014

I'm working with the pre-release from top of tree in the git repository, I've noticed that ya'll dont want bug reports...yet, but best I post this before its stale. If you would prefer me to use a different list, please indicate so/and or forward it.

Until then, I thought I'd ask a couple questions and make observations
1) Question:
When is it thought that drbd9 goes in to the mainline kernel ? ( I hate kmods but drbd9 is too promising to resisit)

2) Observation:
(from a git-clone) you cannot build centos(6.5) /fedora (19) rpms due to a missing config.h.in not in ...user I copied the one in ....user/legacy/config.h.in and
had to alter the copied file to provide the #define for DRBD_RUN_DIR was missing causing registry.c not to compile. so I added
/* Local state directory. Commonly /var/run/drbd */
#undef DRBD_RUN_DIR
to the file (mind you cant build if you alter the one in legacy without doing a commit or hacking the makefile,but doesnt matter as it appears the config.h there is regenerated by the one in the higher level)

3) Observation:
I found the deeply buried references to the man pages being pre-processed in the tarball but not in the git-clone, due to the need for a full docbook chain, but I was not able to locate a native setup for CentOS/RHEL 6.5 that would work so I dumped the git clone and was able to get the tarball "drbd-9.0.0pre7.tar.gz" to generate the RPM's for it (mind Fedora Core 19, has the docbook chain setup correctly, so making the man pages there was simple) In CentOS 6.5 x86_64 the RPM's cant be built due to an inadequate/ missing/improperly configured Docbook chain (Stock CentOS6.5 + eclipse and development groups)"""/usr/bin/xsltproc \
--xinclude --stringparam variablelist.term.break.after 1 \
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl drbdsetup.xml
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/common/en.xml:207: parser error : AttValue: ' expected
ĞğĠġĢģƓɠǤǥǦǧǴǵḠḡHhĤĥĦħȞȟɦḢḣḤḥḦḧḨḩḪḫ
"""

4) Question:
The pacemaker ocf resouce agents provided by the tarball are replacments for the existing ones supporting drbd? (I havent installed yet, so if they are in a linbit provider ra directory I'll adjust) The reason I ask this: The existing ocf drbd resource agent does not handle multi-homed hosts well as it relies on uname to get the hosts name, to query status for the monitor and promote functions instead of identifyng the nodes through drbd.conf (as I think it should be) As all my cluster traffic/replication is on a 10G private net, with static IP's and a private "domain", the ocf agent will pull my WAN facing name, based on uname, not the internal node name inside the private cluster space. If I manage to find the time to clean that up, do I send it up to you or to the ocf maintainers for review/possible inclusion?

5) Last Question:
Anyone else trying a three node CentOS/RHEL 6.5 DRBD9 backed cluster? (three nodes replicating to each other?)

Regards
Chuck