[DRBD-user] Diskless / unclean metadata

Olivier olc at glou.fr
Sun Feb 23 23:09:13 CET 2014

Hi -

My primary node crashed today. I have had to reboot it but now it
reports unclean metadata. :(

# cat /proc/drbd
version: 8.4.3 (api:1/proto:86-101)
GIT-hash: 89a294209144b68adb3ee85a73221f964d3ee515 build by root at dnfs-2,
2013-03-28 16:00:10
  0: cs:WFConnection ro:Secondary/Unknown ds:Diskless/DUnknown C r-----
     ns:0 nr:0 dw:0 dr:0 al:0 bm:0 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1 wo:b oos:0

# drbdadm dump-md r0
Found meta data is "unclean", please apply-al first
Command 'drbdmeta 0 v08 /dev/sdb internal dump-md' terminated with exit
code 255

# drbdadm primary r0
0: State change failed: (-2) Need access to UpToDate data
Command 'drbdsetup primary 0' terminated with exit code 17

# drbdadm -d adjust all
drbdmeta 0 v08 /dev/sdb internal apply-al
drbdsetup attach 0 /dev/sdb /dev/sdb internal --on-io-error=detach
--disk-barrier=no --disk-flushes=no --md-flushes=no --resync-rate=33M

# drbdmeta 0 v08 /dev/sdb internal apply-al
No usable activity log found. Do you need to create-md?

# drbdadm create-md r0
You want me to create a v08 style flexible-size internal meta data block.
There appears to be a v08 flexible-size internal meta data block
already in place on /dev/sdb at byte offset 4999945908224
Do you really want to overwrite the existing v08 meta-data?
[need to type 'yes' to confirm] no

I didn't confirmed the create-md process because I'm afraid that it will
discard all of the data saved on the disk, right?

And now, the icing on the cake: I currently have no secondary node due
to an hardware failure i faced a few days ago!

Is there still a chance that I can get my data back online on that
"standalone" drbd device?

Thanks in anticipation and best regards,
--
Olivier