[DRBD-user] Several cases of hangups found. I have some stack traces to send.

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Tue Mar 5 16:08:59 CET 2013

On 03/05/2013 03:11 PM, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
>> Well, uh...speaking for myself (but believing that everybody's thinking
>> > it), I had kind of expected a bit more.
> Sorry to disappoint you :-/
>
> There is not much in those stack traces but the fact that
> at that point in time apparently drbd_set_role is waiting for something.
>
> It is not even clear what it is waiting for
> (there are several places where it waits for something).
>
> I did look at those traces,
> and it is not obvious what is going on.
> According to those stack traces, it may even be "intended behaviour".
>
> Nothing unusual in the traces, which means they are not good enough to
> even hint at what may be wrong, if anything.
>

> The "unusual" comes in only with the additional info that, reportedly,
> this state does not resolve itself (or maybe only not "in time"?),
> whatever drbd_set_role waits for seems to not happen (quickly enough).
>
> And of course we could (possibly even would) spend days and weeks to
> reproduce, understand, and fix this.
> Only there are so many hours a day, many things (or people,
> aka customers) prioritize our TODO lists in different ways,
> and: it "works for me".
>

> What am I supposed to do other than to take five to
> look at the report, see if I can find anything obvious,
> and let you know if so (or not)?

That wasn't necessarily what I was getting at. I can appreciate the fact
that not each and every hiccup that occurs to someone can be treated as
a critical bug and hunted at any expense.

What I gather from the thread so far, though, is that this cannot be
easily solved, so it's likely sensible to start looking for other things
to try (config changes, examine the circumstances of the problem etc.)

Noone in the community has stepped up with a proposal, which is
understandable. This looks like a tough nut to crack. You and your
collegues are in no way obligated to guide users through such pinches,
*but* you are in the uniquely best situation to do so.

What I'm saying is - the efforts would be much appreciated by (this and
at least one other member of) the community.

Regards,

Felix