[DRBD-user] drbd+mysql+innodb

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut.wollmersdorfer at fixpunkt.de
Thu Jun 13 13:26:09 CEST 2013

Am 12.06.2013 um 15:44 schrieb Robinson, Eric:

> We have been a MyISAM shop forever but we are considering switching
> to innodb. There is scant information available on using innodb with
> drbd. Are there special considerations and pitfalls? I have been
> told that it is not possible to backup innodb by doing a simple
> rsync of the data directory to another server like we can do with
> myisam. If that is true, what does that say about using innodb with
> drbd, which does essentially the same thing?

It says nothing, because DRBD does not essentially the same thing as
rsync. DRBD does "essentially the same thing" as RAID-1.

We run a dozen servers with Xen+DRBD+heartbeat+pacemaker, running some
100++ Mysql-schemas (each of them with 100++ tables), some MyIsam,
most innodb. Failover or migrate was never a problem for the databases.

The three most time-consuming problems with databases are:

- character encoding
- character encoding
- character encoding

caused by developers of applications and data maintainers.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer