[DRBD-user] "kernel: bio too big device drbd0"

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Mon Jun 10 13:46:43 CEST 2013

On 06/07/2013 11:21 PM, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
>>> 19:56:13 kernel: block drbd0: ASSERT FAILED new < now; (131072 < 1048576)
>>> 19:56:13 kernel: block drbd0: max BIO size = 131072
> We'll fix that.

Great :-)

> I wonder why the peer has smaller max bio size in the first place, though.

Because the harddisk in the peer is connected to a 3ware/LSI 9750 controller
which supports a max_hw_sectors_kb size of 128, only - while the harddisk
in the primary is connected to an on-board controller supporting much larger
values.

(BTW: The 3ware/LSI raid controllers perform incredibly bad when used with
fast SSDs due to this ridiculously low max_hw_sectors_kb - it seems they try
to promote their overpriced "SSD support" add-on-dongle that way. I can only
say that I'll never buy a 3ware/LSI controller again, because of that.)

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg