[DRBD-user] Relocating secondary volume

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Jul 25 21:03:14 CEST 2013

Hi,

Am 2013-07-25 18:30, schrieb Charles Lyons - ConnetU:
> We have a primary/secondary protocol C configuration. Before we take
> a secondary node down for maintenance or decommissioning, we want the
> ability to move the secondary volume elsewhere to retain as much
> redundancy uptime on the mirrored set as possible. We only want to do
> this for a secondary node; the primary should stay available at all
> times.
>
> Our proposition starts with:
> (1) drbdadm down <resource> on old secondary
> (2) Copy the underlying block volume data from old secondary to the
> new host
> (3) Update the primary configuration to reflect new host's IP and
> copy the revised config to the new secondary

What about the following:

1) leave your secondary running
2) create a new empty partition on the new host
3) Create a matching config on the new host
4) Change the primaries config to connect to the new host
5) run "drbdadm adjust <disk>" on the primary to make it disconnect
from the old secondary and connect (and sync) to the new secondary.

After all has synced from the primary to the new host, take down the
old secondary for maintenance.

Have fun,

Arnold