[DRBD-user] DRBD & Infiniband

Sebastian Riemer sebastian.riemer at profitbricks.com
Wed Jan 30 12:01:24 CET 2013

On 30.01.2013 11:28, Felix Frank wrote:
> Hi,
>
> you may want to look at SDP:
> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-replication-transports.html
>
> Sebastian: The "drbd isn't really that great" notion, albeit
> interesting, strikes me as a little off topic.

O.K.: Here is on topic:

Don't use chained network connections like some people do with DRBD and
iSCSI to the primary! This introduces lots of latency and behaves like
store & forward.

Sockets Direct Protocol (SDP) uses IPoIB and doesn't give you a
performance gain compared to using IPoIB directly with DRBD. This is
just something to reuse your old sockets applications.

We do lots of blktracing, evaluation and benchmarking. So we already
know that.

Another option is implement RDMA support for DRBD but we didn't/don't
consider worth it fixing DRBD compared to the alternatives.

Cheers,
Sebastian