[DRBD-user] DRBD & Infiniband

Sebastian Riemer sebastian.riemer at profitbricks.com
Wed Jan 30 10:24:06 CET 2013

On 29.01.2013 22:32, Steve wrote:

>   Hello!
>
>   I am contemplating a project with a pair of machines with 36 drives
> each, with DRBD.  I have used DRBD with Ethernet products quite
> successfully before, but in the interest of performance, I am
> considering using Infiniband on this project.
>
>   I know that I can simply configure IPoIB and run DRBD over that, but I
> would imagine that there is a more efficient way of doing things.  If
> anyone could point me to tips, texts, links, or other documentation on
> efficient use of Infiniband for this purpose, I would greatly appreciate
> it.

Yes, there is a better way: Use MD RAID-1 and SRP/iSER. If you need
remote storage anyway, this is the best solution as you've got two
parallel network connections. Even with local storage and remote to
another system this is better than DRBD.

IPoIB always has performance and stability issues. Therefore, I even
suggest using SRP instead of iSER. Also Fusion-io goes for SCST and SRP.

I'm planning to talk about RDMA for storage and SRP vs. iSER on LinuxTag
2013 in Berlin/Germany.

Cheers,
Sebastian

--
Sebastian Riemer
Linux Kernel Developer - Storage

We are looking for (SENIOR) LINUX KERNEL DEVELOPERS!

ProfitBricks GmbH • Greifswalder Str. 207 • 10405 Berlin, Germany
www.profitbricks.com • sebastian.riemer at profitbricks.com