[DRBD-user] Poor fsync performance

Andy Dills andy at xecu.net
Tue Jan 8 22:23:51 CET 2013

I'm trying to track down some poor peformance on my proxmox cluster. This
is with drbd 8.3.13.

We have two servers, each with an Adaptec 6405 with the solid state flash
module, and four 2TB drives setup in a RAID 10.

I'm seeing:

# pvscan
  PV /dev/md1     VG pve    lvm2 [232.38 GiB / 16.00 GiB free]
  PV /dev/drbd0   VG data   lvm2 [3.63 TiB / 3.48 TiB free]

# lvcreate -n test -L 10G data
# mkfs.ext3 /dev/data/test
# mount /dev/data/test /mnt
# pveperf /mnt

CPU BOGOMIPS:      95995.32
REGEX/SECOND:      838290
HD SIZE:           9.84 GB (/dev/mapper/data-test)
BUFFERED READS:    477.27 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 5.87 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND:     631.64
DNS EXT:           43.10 ms
DNS INT:           1.18 ms

The fsyncs/second should be tremendously higher.

I've confirmed write-back cache is enabled:

# arcconf  GETCONFIG 1 | grep cache
   Read-cache mode                          : Enabled
   Write-cache mode                         : Enabled (write-back)
   Write-cache setting                      : Enabled (write-back)

And after doing some research trying to track it down, I've since added
this to my drbd config:

  disk {
    no-disk-barrier;
    no-disk-flushes;
    no-md-flushes;
  }

However, after doing an adjust (and a full cluster reboot), I'm still
seeing the same performance.

Any suggestions for tracking down the cause of this?

Thanks,
Andy

---
Andy Dills