[DRBD-user] external metadata on ssd vs bcache

Lionel Sausin ls at numerigraphe.com
Wed Feb 27 18:32:07 CET 2013

I wouldn't expect anything like the gains of bcache/flashcache/enhencio.
Normally internal metadata are just as fast, thanks to the write cache
of your disks and RAID adapter. Those are much faster than SSDs and
metadata are small enough.
However you may benefit from external metadata when your those caches
are saturated by writes (high throughput for a long time).
If you do have an SSD and expect big writes, give it a try and please
tell us if it really makes a difference.

Lionel Sausin.