[DRBD-user] Kernel panic when bringing up DRBD resource

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Sep 21 15:22:53 CEST 2012

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 03:48:07PM -0700, dwcolo wrote:

> I'm trying to set up two machines synchonizing with DRBD. The storage is
> setup as follows: PV -> LVM -> DRBD -> CLVM -> GFS2.
>
> DRBD is set up in dual primary mode. The first server is set up and running
> fine in primary mode. The drives on the first server have data on them. I've
> set up the second server and I'm trying to bring up the DRBD resources. I
> created all the base LVM's to match the first server. After initializing the
> resources with ``
>
>     drbdadm create-md storage
>
> I'm bringing up the resources by issuing
>
>     drbdadm up storage
>
> After issuing that command, I get a kernel panic and the server reboots in
> 30 seconds. Here's a screen capture.
>
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p34445078/host1-failure.jpeg

Uhm, that explicitly says:
 [Hardware Error]: ... Machine check Exception ... 4 Bank 0 ...

Which means, well, that your hardware is broken.
Specifically, you likely have bad RAM.

Depending on what exactly this is about,
you may even be able to "fix" this
by changing some BIOS settings.

Try google for the rest of the messages in that screenshot.

--
: Lars Ellenberg