[DRBD-user] what's the correct procedure for promoting secondary to primary (when primary is down)?

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 01:01:34 CEST 2012

I'm running version 8.3.11 on a two node Fedora16-x86_64 setup.  I've
read all of the official documentation, but I'm unclear what the
correct procedure is for (manually) promoting the secondary to become
primary when the original primary is down.  I thought it would be as
simple as "drbdadm -f primary r0", but that keeps failing:
0: State change failed: (-2) Need access to UpToDate data
Command 'drbdsetup 0 primary' terminated with exit code 17

I've read a few scattered threads that I need to first invalidate the
peer (original primary), but that also fails, because its (still)
down.  Surely I'm missing something simple here?

thanks!