[DRBD-user] LVM as backing store on 3rd node - snapshot problem

Miles Lott mlott at gie.com
Thu Sep 13 16:36:22 CEST 2012

We are currently running version 8.4.2 on Centos 6.3 in a test
environment which is nearing production status.  Last week we finally
setup our 3rd node which will ultimately be located offsite.  Currently,
it is still in-house on a 1Gb/S ethernet connection.

All 3 nodes are using LVM as the backing store.  For the 3rd node, our
intention was to create and maintain a single, nightly LVM snapshot.  We
are currently in the process of rsyncing data from the old server to the
new DRBD setup.  The snapshot is causing problems.

During the time that the rsync is active (data is changing in the
filesystem on DRBD) and the lvm snapshot exists on the 3rd node, the 3rd
node is regularly timing out.  This causes a resync from the primary
node, which also times out, disconnects and reconnects and so on.  I
have seen the speed dip to near 0k/S before the timeout.

As soon as I removed the nightly snapshot from the 3rd node, the speed
of the resync crept back up to normal.  As the rsync process continues,
the connection is no longer timing out.

So, is this normal, obvious, or a bug?  In any case I'll need to find a
workaround.

Privileged, Proprietary and/or Confidential Information may be contained in
this electronic message.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should
not copy it, re-transmit it, use it or disclose its contents, but should
kindly return to the sender immediately and delete your copy from your system.
Gulf Interstate Engineering Company does not accept responsibility for
changes made to this electronic message or its attachments.