[DRBD-user] Setting up per-VM LVM volumes as individual DRBD mirrors - compatible?

Whit Blauvelt whit+drbd at transpect.com
Thu Oct 25 18:34:40 CEST 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 11:39:14AM -0400, Vadym Chepkov wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2012, at 11:23 AM, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> > I should be able to stop the domain, change the middle line using "virsh
> > edit" to:
> >
> >       <source dev='/dev/drbdN'/>
> >

> I would use a different path:
>
> /dev/drbd/by-res/vmN
>
> Easier to spot an error and you might change the device number, but name will still be the same.

Good suggestion. Thanks.

The easy road appears to be blocked, though. with this edited XML:

    <disk type='block' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source dev='/dev/drbd/by-res/sql'/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='ide'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>
    </disk>

the result is:

  # virsh start sql
  error: Failed to start domain sql
  error: unable to open disk path /dev/drbd/by-res/sql: Wrong medium type

This is with virsh 0.9.12. Also fails when skipping the symlink: <source dev='/dev/drbd12'/>
leads to exactly the same failure. Either I'm missing another tweak, or this
setup isn't currently compatible.

Whit