[DRBD-user] Migrate LVM to DRBD+LVM ?

ShockwaveCS shockwavecs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 19:53:05 CET 2012

I need to migrate my existing LVM setup to drbd and I'm confused about
meta-data, etc. I have done some reading and feel that I could benefit from
starting the LVM's from scratch...but I cant do that.

In the past, I setup a system with LVM doing the following:

sdc 750GB RAID5 drive

On Node 1 and Node 2:
pvcreate /dev/sdc
--success
vgcreate vg1 /dev/sdc
--success
lvcreate -L 500G -n data1 vg1
--success

sdd 500GB RAID10 Drive

pvcreate /dev/sdd
--success
vgcreate vg2 /dev/sdd
--success
lvcreate -L 200G -n data2 vg2
--success

mkfs.ext3 /dev/mapper/vg1/data1
--success
mkfs.ext3 /dev/mapper/vg2/data2
--success
mount /dev/mapper/vg1/data1 /mnt/data1
--success
mount /dev/mapper/vg2/data2 /mnt/data2
--success

So I'm trying to get DRBD up and running and started with the DRBD users
guide. I couldnt find the appropriate way to get my LVM's properly
initialized for use. create-md will destroy everything on the disks, so what
do it do? external metadata? Where do I do this? I have space left on the
two devices. is this where I configure the meta-data? Do I need to create
another logical volume on each disk in order to get the external-meta-data
to be used? Also, when doing this, what /etc/lvm/lvm.conf /udev rules/
drbd.conf settings would I need? I had an issue in the past with heartbeat
hating the way I had LVMs setup. heartbeats vgchange commands knocked out my
VG's and wouldn't mount the drives anymore.