[DRBD-user] drbd-8.3.13.tar.gz

Christian Balzer chibi at gol.com
Tue May 15 10:12:14 CEST 2012

On Tue, 15 May 2012 09:33:21 +0200 Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:

> Am 15.05.2012 um 08:24 schrieb Christian Balzer:
> >
> > However there is one outstanding and rather critical issue not
> > addressed
> > bit it, I'm talking about the lack of a:
> > ---
> > ---
> > line in the rc.d script.
> >
> > This was recently fixed in Debian and has bitten yours truly quite
> > painfully in the ass twice, before I realized what was going on.
> >
> > Since "wfc-timeout" defaults to 0 and pretty much all example
> > configurations suggest that that as well the init script really
> > needs to
> > interactive.
> >
> > I experienced a double (both nodes) crash in the past, one node never
> > recovered and the other was stuck in the boot process waiting for it
> > with
> > no way to resume booting due to the inability to actually enter "yes"
> > at the prompt...
> >
> > Would be nice if this could be fixed for any future releases and
> > heads-up
> > to anybody reading this.
>
> IMHO the majority of installations use some sort of CRM (Cluster
> Resource Manager) instead of the init script.

You might be surprised.
I personally prefer the ancient drbddisk resource because it allows me to
put the CRM into standby/unmanaged without shutting down the DRBD resource.

> Also I do not know any other interactive init script.
Numerous ones, like filesystem encryption where you need to enter a
password.

>The
> interactivity is really bad, causing more trouble than benefit.
> Imagine an installation with removed init script, where it is
> reactivated by an upgrade.

Stuff like that is always messy, no matter from which angle you look at
it. There usually are ways to permanently disable init scripts, though.

> Thus I suggest:
>
> - distributions should not activate the init script per default
Works for me and Debian tried to do something like that in the past by
choosing drbd.conf settings that would time out. That of course fails when
someone activates it and sets the timeout to 0 aka infinite.

> - it should not be interactive by default

As long as it is what it is now, it should be fixed.
I'm not sure what other method you're suggesting to avoid split brain
scenarios on every which reboot and what timeouts would be "safe".

Again, as long as there is a valid reason to start drbd using the init
script it should work in all possible scenarios.
Right now it doesn't (by default).

Regards,

Christian
chibi at gol.com   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications