[DRBD-user] drbd-8.3.13.tar.gz

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut.wollmersdorfer at fixpunkt.de
Tue May 15 09:33:21 CEST 2012

Am 15.05.2012 um 08:24 schrieb Christian Balzer:

> However there is one outstanding and rather critical issue not
> addressed
> bit it, I'm talking about the lack of a:
> ---
> ---
> line in the rc.d script.
>
> This was recently fixed in Debian and has bitten yours truly quite
> painfully in the ass twice, before I realized what was going on.
>
> Since "wfc-timeout" defaults to 0 and pretty much all example
> configurations suggest that that as well the init script really
> needs to
> interactive.
>
> I experienced a double (both nodes) crash in the past, one node never
> recovered and the other was stuck in the boot process waiting for it
> with
> no way to resume booting due to the inability to actually enter "yes"
> at the prompt...
>
> Would be nice if this could be fixed for any future releases and
> heads-up
> to anybody reading this.

IMHO the majority of installations use some sort of CRM (Cluster
Resource Manager) instead of the init script.

Also I do not know any other interactive init script. The
interactivity is really bad, causing more trouble than benefit.
Imagine an installation with removed init script, where it is
reactivated by an upgrade.

Thus I suggest:

- distributions should not activate the init script per default
- it should not be interactive by default

Helmut Wollmersdorfer