[DRBD-user] Quick heads-up in case you see us disappearing from the list (was Re: Switch from MD to DRBD)

Florian Haas florian at hastexo.com
Tue Mar 20 14:14:31 CET 2012

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Florian Haas <florian at hastexo.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Jake Smith <jsmith at argotec.com> wrote:

Greetings everyone,

just so you know: after this, an angry email was directed at me
personally from Linbit management, informing me that the user list was
"not a marketing platform," that this was "abuse" of the mailing list,
and threatening to block all email sent to the list from the
hastexo.com domain.

To anyone who was offended by the humorous exchange between Arnold,
Jake and myself and who felt spammed, my sincere apologies. To
everyone who is having trouble discerning why saying "we recommend
people use DRBD Proxy" is good whereas asserting that you're providing
professional services around F/OSS technologies is bad -- I'm with
you; I'm not getting it either. I also don't know whether there's any
precedent for this action, but they own the list. It's their decision;
I respect other people's decisions.

So I don't know whether I am (or anyone else is) still infringing
against their list policy (which I can't find anywhere), or whether
they're going to kick me and/or my colleagues from the list. But if
you suddenly stop hearing from us, that's probably why.

Their threat was only about the drbd-user list, by the way. I guess
they also co-control the linux-ha{,-dev} mailing lists, but there have
been no blocking or removal threats about those.

On an unrelated note, I have been asked by a few people what my
current involvement in the DRBD User's Guide is, and I've summarized
that in a blog post at
http://www.hastexo.com/blogs/florian/2012/03/20/my-ex-maintainership-drbd-users-guide.
Feel free to comment on that there; I'll *definitely* be able to
respond to comments that way. :)

Cheers,
Florian