[DRBD-user] using SSD drives, the TRIM challenge

Christoph Roethlisberger christoph at iway.ch
Thu Mar 8 12:10:02 CET 2012

We are using consumer grade SSD drives in a few of our servers for 4+ years
now. (started with MTRON devices, switched to Intel later on and lately also
some Samsung drives)
Though we just started using SSD drives as DRBD backend storage (hardware
RAID6 - thus no TRIM anyways) we use similar configurations in storage
arrays for high IO performance virtual machines. (ESX mostly)
So far we had zero problems with it and no measurable performance
degradation and only one drive from the 100+ we have, failed so far. Though
this happened already after one of two weeks in operation and was an
electronic problem and not due to NAND wear out.

As long as the drives have some internal GarbageCollection (as most do
nowadays) and you make sure that they do never fill up completeley (normally
we format such arrays to a max of 90% of available space) the absence of
TRIM can be neglected in my opinion.

As far as TRIM support in DRBD goes - I don't know.
LVM may support it already in RAID0/1 setups, but MDRaid nor any hardware
RAID does it, (and hardware raid support may never ever come/work beside
raid0/1 setups) so this limits the use of TRIM support in DRBD quite much.

Christoph