[DRBD-user] Partition being synced must be on its own LVM volume?

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.com
Fri Jun 22 17:28:01 CEST 2012

On 2012-06-21T15:10:04, Keith Christian <keith1christian at gmail.com> wrote:

> In previous DRBD installations, a separate physical (e.g. non-LVM)
> partition was kept in sync with DRBD.  This partition was, say,
> /dev/sda3 and was mounted on a /data directory in /etc/ha.d/
> haresources.
>
> While planning this for a new LVM based install, it occurs to me that
> the partition that is mounted on /data must be a separate Logical
> Volume.
>
> Currently, /data resides in the same logical volume that hosts /.

I think this post would benefit from the distinction between the three
major abstractions in LVM: physical volumes, volume groups, and logical
volumes.

You want to use DRBD to either replicate entire PVs (thus replicating
entire volume groups, with all their LVs), or individual LVs.

If you have one Logical Volume only containing the entire system as a
single file system, yes, that is probably not what you want to
replicate.

Regards,
    Lars

--