[DRBD-user] DRBD fsync() seems to return before writing to disk

Shaun Thomas sthomas at optionshouse.com
Thu Jun 21 00:19:38 CEST 2012

Ok, Phil.

I ran some tests on our (crappy) RAID0, comprised of two 300GB SAS
drives. Here's what I got for varying block sizes:

DRBD connected:

8K - 26MB/s
16K - 39MB/s
32K - 65MB/s
64K - 92MB/s
128K - 121MB/s
256K - 137MB/s
512K - 152MB/s
1M - 177MB/s
2M - 196MB/s
4M - 197MB/s

DRBD disconnected:

8K - 57MB/s
16K - 95MB/s
32K - 144MB/s
64K - 196MB/s
128K - 242MB/s
256K - 272MB/s
512K - 285MB/s
1M - 292MB/s
2M - 297MB/s
4M - 287MB/s

Those disconnected numbers look not too far off from raw disk
performance in a simple 2-disk RAID0. To be fair, this is with DRBD
8.4.1, and with the following disk options:

disk {
     disk-barrier    	no;
     disk-flushes    	no;
     md-flushes      	no;
}

And we could do all that because we have capacitor-backed RAID controllers.

We're seeing pretty much *exactly* what you should expect. This is with
the 3.2.0 kernel as well. To make sure this wasn't fake, I monitored
iostat and watched Dirty and Writeback from /proc/sys/meminfo. These are
legit numbers obtained directly from dd and oflag=sync for all tests.

So, I'm not sure about your own setup, but I can confirm that DRBD does
honor sync in our case.

--
Shaun Thomas
312-444-8534