[DRBD-user] How to Monitor DRBD?

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Mon Jun 11 10:07:43 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 06/11/2012 10:03 AM, Christian Völker wrote:
> Hey,
>
> drbd seems to work mostly really fine.
>
> But sometimes issues occur for whatever reason. So my device went on the
> secondary last night to "diskless".
>
> Well, it didn't do any harm as the primary still was fine.
>
> My question now is how you monitor your drbd devices? I din't have a
> snmptrap device running- email would be fine.
>
> Have you created your own script running frequently monitoring the
> /dev/drbd node?
>
> Or any other ideas?

monitoring is *essential* when running DRBD, else you will find yourself
in a bad place at some point.

I think most people cobble up a nagios plugin to fit their specific
fears ;-) You can easily leverage /proc/drbd or better yet,
drbd-overview.pl to get good monitoring input. Some distributions
(Debian for one I believe), present the information from the latter via
the status action of the init script.

HTH,
Felix