[DRBD-user] DRBD - one half of Proxmox cluster miscommunicating

James Gibbon james.gibbon at virgin.net
Tue Jul 31 16:23:28 CEST 2012

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 15:27:52 +0200
Felix Frank <ff at mpexnet.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 07/31/2012 03:23 PM, James Gibbon wrote:
> > OK - thanks again. Since the master is already up and running,
> > I'm hoping that the broken secondary box isn't going to get
> > promoted - is that a reasonable assumption?
>
> it's already promoted. Hence split brain. It's not an issue
> though.
>
> It's easy to mix up "in primary role" and "source for resync".
> The two are largely independend. In your setup, you need not
> even demote your split brain victim.

Thanks again for your reply, Felix. I'm still a bit confused though,
I'm sorry to say. In your earlier reply to Jake, you said:

> >                 after-sb-1pri discard-secondary;
>
> this is an extremely dangerous setting.
>
> If for any reason, at the time of reconnection the node with
> the stale data is primary, you loose your current data.

My config DOES have this setting. In your earlier comment you say
that it's not an issue that the secondary box might get promoted
- but here you say that if it is a primary when it reconnects, the
current data will be lost..

Sorry to remain puzzled, appreciate the help;
James

--
James Gibbon <james.gibbon at virgin.net>