[DRBD-user] DRBD - one half of Proxmox cluster miscommunicating

James Gibbon james.gibbon at virgin.net
Tue Jul 31 13:10:07 CEST 2012

Hi Felix,

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 12:12:30 +0200
Felix Frank <ff at mpexnet.de> wrote:

> > Not sure I even can copy the second node's data - it's not
> > communicating with the storage at all. But I only need the
> > first node's data.
>
> This too makes me edgy. The "storage"? In most DRBD setups, the
> data resides on the local disk, and DRBD takes care of syncing
> local disks of peers.

OK. The VM images for the cluster are stored in two Cisco NAS
units. Both the physical servers are connected to these using
iSCSI, through two Cisco gigabit switches. So for example a
particular VM disk image might be visible, from both servers,
as /dev/mapper/drbdvg0-vm--104--disk--1.

Each of the servers has a private IP address used to read and
write to the storage, in additional to their regular IP address
used for ssh and other communication over the Internet.

On the first (master) server the private IP address, on the NIC
that's hooked up to the NAS units via the switches, is 10.0.1.1.
On the second it should be 10.0.1.2. But because I misconfigured
it, it's also 10.0.1.1 at the moment, which is where I assume
the split brain is derived from. The IP conflict is stopping the
slave from communicating properly with the NAS units, over iSCSI.

> We have yet to see your drbd config.

OK, thanks for taking a look at this:

/etc/drbd.conf is the same on both servers and looks like this:

include "drbd.d/global_common.conf";
include "drbd.d/*.res"

.. global_common.conf looks like:

global { usage-count no; }
common { syncer { rate 30M; } }

Both have an identical .res file in drbd.d/ with a lot more
information, which I've pasted here:

http://www.pastedump.com/paste/2365

Thanks again.