[DRBD-user] DRBD and multi core CPUs

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Thu Jul 12 15:09:37 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 07/12/2012 02:55 PM, Heitor Lessa wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
>  Have a quick look here =)
>
> http://www.linbit.com/products-services/drbd-proxy/why-drbd-proxy/

yes, the proxy can make use of multiple cores. But that does not mean
(correct me if I'm mistaken) that it can make up for CPUs that cannot
allow drbd to handle the throughput of disks and network.

>> I want to setup another Xenserver-pair with drbd as its block device.
> Now I have to chose the CPU. Is DRBD able to use multiple CPU cores?
>>
>> The servers will own two replicated arrays and 1 10 GBit/s replication
> interface:
>> - array 1: 8x SSD
>> - array 2: 2x SAS
>>
>> Is one of the 8 cores of an Intel Sandy-Bridge 2,4 GHz CPU enough for
> that drive setup, or would one core of an 4-Core 3,30 Sandy-Bridge CPU
> better?

Seeing as you have two resources, I would go for 8 cores and instead of
limiting each resource to one core, assign 3 cores each:

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-latency-tuning.html

Best theoretical mileage I assume, but don't quote me on that ;)

If anyone has a chance to benchmark the two above setups, a note to the
list would be appreciated, I'm certain.

Cheers,
Felix