[DRBD-user] % of utilisation on my drbd device

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Fri Jan 20 20:40:02 CET 2012

On 01/19/2012 02:17 PM, Andreas Kurz wrote:
>> I don't understand why my drbd device is at 100 %util.
 >
> So think you should get higher write??

I think he's just wondering why the drbd device reports
near 100% utilization while the underlying physical device
seems much less utilized.

I've been wondering about that for a long time, too.
But I found that the "utilization" (as reported by iostat)
for drbd devices is rather meaningless, it will be near 100%
no matter if there is little or lots of data going through,
and that does not mean it is actually "maxed out".

So I decided to just disregard it and only look at the
utilization of the underlying physical devices.

Yet, it would be nice if the "utilization percentage" reported
for drbd device was meaningful.

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg