[DRBD-user] can i clone primary after failure of secondary?

Maurizio Marini Gmail marini.maurizio at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 15:34:29 CET 2012

Hello,

We have two Dell 1425 servers running CentOS 5.4, with RAID5, 3 disks
in each one,
and drbd 8.3 between them.

We see a disk failure on _all_ 3 disks on the secondary node.
The disks were sent us to new by Dell.

We could at this point clone the 3 disks of the primary node, using
the controller,
without booting CentOS (not sure if this will work though).

Then we can put the 3 cloned disks in the secondary node, switch on
the primary first,
then switch on the 2nd but keeping it disconnected.

We could change the network configuration on the 2nd node before
reconnecting it to the network.

We're very worried about the drbd partitions metadata being the same
on each node:
does this method have any chance of success, or are we wasting our time?

Thanks,

M.