[DRBD-user] Best Distribuition for DRBD Deployment

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Sat Jan 7 19:53:53 CET 2012

On 01/07/2012 07:21 AM, Pedro Henrique Morsch Mazzoni wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am new on the forum and have a newbie question.
> What is the easiest distribution for a DRBD+iSCSI Multipathing+Heartbeat
> Single-Primary deployment:
>
> Open SUSE ?
> Debian GNU/Linux ?
> CentOS ?
> Ubuntu Linux ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Pedro Mazzoni

Hi Pedro,

  Asking for "best distro" is always risky and fraught with more opinion
than facts. The most important question is; What is your experience with
the various distros and what are your primary concerns.

  I can't answer your question, but I can tell you how I answered mine
and perhaps that will help.

1. Being familiar with both rpm and deb distros left me feeling
comfortable on most distros. So familiarity wasn't a concern. What was
instead though was; Where are the apps I am most interested in being
developed? This was Fedora/RHEL, so I decided on an RPM distro.

2. My highest priority was stability, security and long life-cycles.
This eliminated all "workstation" distros like Fedora and Ubuntu (yes, I
know Ubuntu has an LTS but as I said, I'd already settled on an RPM
release). This meant RHEL, CentOS or Scientific Linux.

  With CentOS being designed for binary compatibility with RHEL, I
decided on CentOS as it would give me a fully Red Hat supported platform
for customers with the budgets for timely security patches and a
near-identical free platform for customers with less of a budget.

  Further, Linbit, the company behind DRBD, has a support agreement with
Red Hat, meaning that my DRBD-backed projects also had a direct path to
fully paid support.

  As I said; You need to answer similar questions yourself. Everyone has
their preferences and will suggest you use the same, but this isn't
ideal as their reasoning is unlikely to match yours.

Cheers

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"omg my singularity battery is dead again.
stupid hawking radiation." - epitron