[DRBD-user] read-balancing: could not measure any performance benefits + alternative proposal

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Fri Jan 6 09:10:02 CET 2012

Hi,

On 01/05/2012 06:22 PM, Lutz Vieweg wrote:
> But I hoped for some increased performance when running two
> independent processes reading two different files.

in most load balancing scenarios, I wouldn't expect to notice any
performance differences between one and two clients respectively.

I would include as many clients in any load test as the system under
test can sensibly service. In the case of disk performance, this will
not be easy, seeing as you need to be careful not to measure your page
cache performance instead of disk performance etc.

Still, I believe you may get better results if you can find some "true
world" application that is both multi threaded and I/O bound, and have
it do some heavy lifting with and without disk load balancing.

MySQL comes to mind, if you drastically limit its in-memory caches.

HTH,
Felix