[DRBD-user] HA DRBD setup - graceful failover/active node detection

Pascal BERTON pascal.berton3 at free.fr
Thu Jan 5 12:14:51 CET 2012

Hi Elias !

“crm status” will tell you on which node a given resource is active. You can
also use “crm_mon” (underscore!) which will present the same thing in real
time (crm status is a one shot run).

Basically, crm is the command to use to do everything you intend to do.

Regarding the iSCSI target daemon, you have declared an IP resource in your
cluster, the one that your remote iSCSI initiators point to. Since the IP
resource is a resource, you will see it in the crm status report, and you
will know which node owns it.

In order to failover your resources, guess what, you may use crm too! J As
far as I remember, it’s something like “crm resource migrate <res_name>
<target_host>”. Have a look to the crm man pages for more details.

You may also manually modify the cib config within the cluster to change the
scores of your resources. This is what I use to do, although I’m not sure it
is actually a best practice
 To make short, the “score” is sort of a
“weight” that you give to your resource on a given host. The host on which
the weight/score is the highest is the host on which the resource is tied
to. Change the scores, the resource moves.

You must read at least 2 docs to better understand that complex stuff :

1)      “Pacemaker 1.0 Configuration Explained”, by Andrew Beekhof. There
might be a more recent release, but I don’t know of it
 I had to read it
twice, but it gives valuable information regarding the way a Pacemaker
cluster is structured and works. This manual worths gold!

2)      And then the “CRM CLI guide” (not sure which version is the latest,
I have the 0.94) by Dejan Muhamedagic and Yan Gao, to understand all crm is
able to achieve, and that’s not few!

Also, the “Cluster from scratch” manual is a good introduction. An dit
contains DRBD examples. May be you might start by it, to catch the first
concepts
 It is easier to read than the “Pacemaker 1.0 Configuration
Explained” I mentioned above.

You’ll find all this on the web of course!

HTH!

Best regards,

Pascal.