[DRBD-user] Downgrading 8.4.1 to 8.3.12

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Feb 29 00:54:34 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 06:32:28PM -0500, William Seligman wrote:
> Is there any way of downgrading 8.4.1 to 8.3.12 without erasing the drbd
> partition? When I try to start drbd 8.3.12 on a 8.4.1 partition, I get:
>

> # service drbd start
> Starting DRBD resources: [
> admin
> no suitable meta data found :(
> Command '/sbin/drbdmeta 0 v08 /dev/md2 internal check-resize' terminated with
> exit code 255
> drbdadm check-resize admin: exited with code 255
> d(admin) 0: Failure: (119) No valid meta-data signature found.
>
> 	==> Use 'drbdadm create-md res' to initialize meta-data area. <==
>

> [admin] cmd /sbin/drbdsetup 0 disk /dev/md2 /dev/md2 internal --set-defaults
> --create-device --fencing=resource-and-stonith  failed - continuing!
>
> s(admin) n(admin) ].

You should have done "drbdadm down all; drbdadm apply-al all" while still on 8.4.
That should have taken care of cleaning up the meta data.
There are some corner cases where this did not work, however.
I think we have fixed them all, meanwhile. 8.4.2 is comming "soon"...

> OK, but when I try the suggested command:
>
> # drbdadm create-md admin
> pvs stderr:        /dev/md2: Skipping (regex)
> pvs stderr:  Failed to read physical volume "/dev/md2"
> pvs stderr:      Unlocking /var/lock/lvm/P_global
> pvs stderr:        _undo_flock /var/lock/lvm/P_global
>
> md_offset 2873200996352
> al_offset 2873200963584
> bm_offset 2873113276416
>
> Found LVM2 physical volume signature
>   2805774684 kB left usable by current configuration
> Could not determine the size of the actually used data area.
>
> Device size would be truncated, which
> would corrupt data and result in
> 'access beyond end of device' errors.
> If you want me to do this, you need to zero out the first part
> of the device (destroy the content).
> You should be very sure that you mean it.
> Operation refused.
>
> Command 'drbdmeta 0 v08 /dev/md2 internal create-md' terminated with exit code 40
> drbdadm create-md admin: exited with code 40

drbdmeta create-md detects the LVM meta data signature,
and calls out to pvs to do the meta data parsing.
Your filter in lvm.conf correctly tells pvs to ignore the lower level
device, so drbdmeta can not determine the size, and plays it safe.

If you invoke it like so:
LVM_SYSTEM_DIR= drbdadm create-md vm1

pvs will not find your lvm.conf,
default to it's builtin filter settings,
which should allow it to read and parse the LVM meta data block.
drbdmeta should then figure that the currently used space is much less
than the device size, and that it is ok to create the meta data.

> Since I'm not certain that the problems I'm having with cman+pacemaker+drbd are
> caused by my drbd version, I'm reluctant to do this (and spend several hours
> restoring the partitions) unless I absolutely have to.

You could also give us call ;-)

--
: Lars Ellenberg