[DRBD-user] missing /dev/drbd0

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Feb 20 21:28:28 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 11:19:47AM +0100, Krzysztof Radacki wrote:
> Dear all,
> yesterday I had to turn off for an hour all our servers (replacement
> of emergency power generator and simulation of failure).
> After reboot the main server "lost" all 3 internet interfaces. For
> that reason DRBD failed to start. After some time I figured out,
> that aliases for NICs were not loaded (no idea why, but they
> disappeared from /etc/modprobe.conf). Again reboot network was there
> but still no DRBD.
>
> The output of "service drbd status" is not complete:
>
> "service drbd status"
> drbd driver loaded OK; device status:
> version: 8.0.16 (api:86/proto:86)
> GIT-hash: d30881451c988619e243d6294a899139eed1183d build by
> mockbuild at v20z-x86-64.home.local, 2009-08-22 13:26:57
> m:res  cs  st  ds  p  mounted  fstype
>
> However "more /proc/drbd"  seems OK

"/etc/init.d/drbd status" is just a funny way of combining /proc/drbd
with various other information (from drbdadm sh-status, drbdadm sh-dev,
and /proc/mounts), using tr, sed, join, past, and column ...
If there is something in /proc/drbd, but nothing in .../drbd status, you
either looked not "at the same time", or there may be a bug in the script.

> version: 8.0.16 (api:86/proto:86)
> GIT-hash: d30881451c988619e243d6294a899139eed1183d build by
> mockbuild at v20z-x86-64.home.local, 2009-08-22 13:26:57
>  0: cs:Connected st:Secondary/Secondary ds:UpToDate/UpToDate C r---
>     ns:0 nr:0 dw:0 dr:0 al:0 bm:0 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0
>         resync: used:0/61 hits:0 misses:0 starving:0 dirty:0 changed:0
>         act_log: used:0/127 hits:0 misses:0 starving:0 dirty:0 changed:0
>
> I've found out that block file /dev/drbd0 was missing after reboot.
> I've tried to add the /dev/drbd0 manually with
> "mknod -m 0660  /dev/drbd0 b 147 0" and restart of drbd
> but it didn't change the situation.

*which* situation did it not change?

> The same results form "service drbd status"

The output of "drbd status"?
OMG. We are all going to die...

Seriously, I would not be bothered by that,
as long as /proc/drbd is correct.

But if it bothers you, provide your drbd config
(drbdadm dump should be good enough)
and cat /proc/drbd, cat /proc/mounts,
when it does not work, and I see if I can easily reproduce that.
Or look into the script, and try to figure out if/where it breaks.

> After reboot again no /dev/drbd0.

What/Who is responsible for creating device nodes on your system?

udev?

Did you manage to break your udev configuration?
Fix it. Note that drbd 8.0.16 does not even ship with
drbd specific udev rules yet, so if udev broke,
it broke outside of DRBD's responsibility.

These may help in debugging udev:
udevadm test /class/net/eth0
udevadm test /block/drbd0

Static device nodes or some other template?

Fix the template, or the non-volatile static device nodes.

--
: Lars Ellenberg