[DRBD-user] IO error when mounting device

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Feb 20 21:04:16 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 11:15:45AM +0200, Lawrence Strydom wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I used DRBD in dual primary mode with ocfs2 for my load balancing

If you use dual primary DRBD with cluster file systems,
you *MUST* have *working* and *tested* fencing in place.

That is DRBD fencing policy has to be "resource-and-stonith",
and the "fence-peer" handler is supposed to trigger, or at least wait
for, a node-fencing as well.

This is necessary because otherwise, as soon as the replication
connection breaks, the data on both nodes could diverge.
(aka split brain, or even just resource-internal split brain).

I also recommend to upgrade to 8.3.12.
With 8.3.7, you'd probably still have to configure after-split-brain
auto recovery policies, even if you got the fencing right.