[DRBD-user] Seeking extra info on loopback mounted devices

Justin Cattle j at ocado.com
Thu Feb 9 14:51:05 CET 2012

Thanks Florian.

While that does illustrate how convoluted the process becomes when you have
so many layers (as in this case), it seems to me that it's the point where
there is no free memory left to allocate that ruins the party.
I may be missing something here - please correct me if I'm wrong.

If the problem only manifests when the system is under memory pressure, is
it not possible to avoid the deadlock if you manage your memory
very strictly?

To extend that even further, it might it also then be possible to quantify
how much spare memory you need to have in reserve to guarantee operation
without a deadlock?

Are their factors to consider other than memory that might cause the
deadlock?

Cheers,
Just

On 9 February 2012 13:29, Florian Haas <florian at hastexo.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Justin Cattle <j at ocado.com> wrote:
> > Is this still the case - DRBD 8.3 (or even 8.4) using Linux 3.1 ?
>
> http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2011-May/016009.html
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Cheers,
> Florian
>
> --
> Need help with High Availability?
> http://www.hastexo.com/now

This message has been checked for all known viruses by the Postini Virus Control Centre.