[DRBD-user] (off topic) alternative to drbd

John Lauro john.lauro at covenanteyes.com
Thu Feb 2 13:35:40 CET 2012

> not quite true:
>  stor1 fails -> VM keeps using stor2 -> power outage (all machines are
> down) -> stor1 boots faster and VM starts using it ... oops

That is assuming the vm can come up automatically with only one storage.
The hypervisor by default should not allow the vm to power on without manual
intervention due to the missing disk.  However, that may depend on the
hypervisor...

> - If you have a large data-set you risk for data loss, because of the
> extended rebuild time

With the standard linux md raid, rebuilds are done in the background (and
rarely trigger a full sync) so things may be slower during rebuild but don't
see the chance for data-set risk.  However if you have too many VMs
configured such a way it would probably really thrash your storage servers
and/or network if they were all rebuilding at the same time (but min/max
sync rate it's tunable)...  Although the entire disk isn't rebuilt, one
sector generally means a whole area (ie: 64mb more or less depending on size
of disk) to be synced, and so for an active system that could mean a lot of
to resync after being ot of sync for a short period of time.