[DRBD-user] Secondary Performance

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Thu Dec 20 09:56:13 CET 2012

On 12/20/2012 08:31 AM, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> The primary has 5 x 480G Intel SSD drives in a RAID5 configuration
> The secondary has 4 x 2TB WD RE4 drives in a RAID10 configuration

Huh. SSD RAID vs. rotaries? That's about as far apart as you can set
primary and secondary performance-wise. Have you considered switching
their roles?

If I understand this correctly, you're looking for a way to keep your
maximum performance and trade in the stability of your replication. Are
you sure the gain is wort the risk (and pain)? Is your iSCSI maxing out
the I/O on that SSD RAID?

> In general, most of those are small amounts of data over small amounts
> of time, so it would be nice to add a little more buffering 'somewhere'
> so that instead of getting out of sync, the secondary just has more data
> un-written to disk in a buffer somewhere.
>
> Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

DRBD Proxy springs to mind, even though that's not a free option
(monetarily speaking).

HTH,
Felix