[DRBD-user] Split brain when starting resources by Pacemaker

Felix Frank ff at mpexnet.de
Wed Aug 29 09:34:57 CEST 2012

On 08/28/2012 10:55 PM, Carlos Xavier wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Since there was no one hint to solve this trouble, the only temporary
> solution I found to allow me to continue with the cluster configuration
> was wipe out all the related DRBD configuration from the crm and start
> the DRBD resources by the /etc/init.d/drbd init script.
>
> If someone have another solution I´ll be glad to hear about.
>
> Kind regards,
> Carlos.

Hi,

I believe the problem is that pacemaker is not yet very well equipped to
handle dual-primary setups (at least to my knowledge).

In a traditional primary/secondary setup, a node becoming master can
fence its peer and give you some safety against split brains. It's much
more complex for dual-primary. You would basically need to teach
pacemaker to remember which node left the cluster last, and make sure
the other node does not get to work standalone.

Again, I disbelieve that's currently possible. Maybe there's a simpler
solution, though.

Regards,
Felix