[DRBD-user] using truck based replication, but trying to save some gas

Dan Frincu df.cluster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 09:28:21 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 1:28 AM, Two Spirit <twospirit6905 at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-using-truck-based-replication.html
>
> I've already got remote sites (small sites with slow bw) that can hold data,
> and I'm regularly getting new data that I'd like to replicate remotely to
> multiple sites. I'm evaluating using drbd for that, but I wanted some
> torrent type technology to replicate to multiple sites. I currently use
> rsync, but revering the rsync in a recovery scenario is not desireable. I
> have used the shipping method to ship and seed to a remote backup site, but
> I'd like to avoid mainly because from the recovery point of view, when a
> major disaster happens, I want to start recoverying and utilize more
> bandwidth than what one remote site can upload, and maybe I can put myself
> in a situation where recovery would be faster than the truck method for
> recovery especially since the small sites use DSL and upload speeds are way
> smaller than their DL speeds.

For low bandwidth connections, there's DRBD Proxy, you'd have to talk
to the sales guys over at Linbit for more details. Don't know how it
covers multi-site scenarios, usually DRBD works only between 2
locations. The exception is the the DRBD stacked scenarios, when data
can be in up to 4 different locations. However in most cases, writes
are done only in one locations. For situations where you need to write
at the same time in different locations, you'll need at least a
cluster aware FS for that.

> anyone know of any torrent technology for remote [secure] replications that
> I might be able to use? I'm evaluating the tahoe-lafs currently for that,
> but I'd like something different.

Sorry, no clue.

HTH,
Dan