[DRBD-user] Automatic Primary

J.R. Lillard jlillard at ghfllc.com
Mon Aug 13 23:34:54 CEST 2012

I have a three node setup all running Ubuntu 12.04 and DRBD 8.3.11.  I have
the drbd service configured to not startup automatically.  Instead I launch
it with post-up commands in /etc/network/interfaces via modprobe drbd
followed by drbdadm up all.  This works fine.  All three nodes startup and
resync after a reboot.  But they are all in the secondary role as expected.
 On my primary node I have another interface defined that I use as an NFS
target for my ESXi hosts.  I do this so if something happened to the
primary node I could manually bring up the secondary node in its place.
 The first post-up command I have is drbdadm primary all.  Unfortunately
when I reboot the server something about this causes the boot process to
hang.  It claims it is waiting for the network to start up.  While it is
doing this I can connect into the server just fine remotely but in the end
it doesn't execute any of the post-up commands for eth1.  However, I can
run each command individually from the command line and they completely
quickly and without error.  So for now I have removed those post-up
commands and put them in a script I manually run when I reboot the server.
 Of course this does me no good if the server is rebooted for some other
reason.

Looking through the syslog I can't seem to find any indication why the
drbdadm primary all would fail when it's run at boot time.  Any suggestions?

--
J.R. Lillard
System / Network Admin