[DRBD-user] Three node cluster?

Michael Schwartzkopff misch at schwartzkopff.org
Tue Apr 17 12:12:22 CEST 2012

> Hi,
>
> On 15.04.2012 22:05, Björn Enroth wrote:
> > I am looking for information of how to deal with a KVM three node cluster
> > with DRBD
> > I have a "baby machine" ubuntu 11.10 pacemaker/drbd cluster with two
> > nodes, local disks with drbd setup in between. This is working flawless.
> >
> > My challenge now is that I want to add a third node with the same setup.
> > How do I handle drbd in this setup? I'd like to have all nodes active, to
> > be able to migrate resources, mainly kvm virtual guests, around the
> > cluster as I see fit. I'd also like pacemaker to be able to dynamically
> > handle the load.
>
> While drbd is great, this is exactly our intended use-case and also
> exactly the reason I am looking at other storage solutions. drbd can't
> do more than two nodes.
>
> You can of course distribute the drbd-resources so that some are n1/n2,
> some n2/n3 and some n1/n3, but that becomes an administrators nightmare.
> And once you decide that you need four nodes with the data present on at
> least three nodes, you are stuck.
> You can layer the drbd-resources but that is more meant for semi-distant
> mirrors and manual fail-over.
> And if you want live-migrations for your vms with more then two primary
> filesystem nodes...
>
> I am currently looking at glusterfs, there is also moosefs and ceph(fs),
> but only the first is meant to be stable enough that redhat gives
> commercial support for it. There are also other distributed cluster
> filesystems like lustre, but they lack redundancy.

Hi,

Basically DRBD only works with two nodes. You can add a third one in a stacked
setup. But I don't know if an active/active setup is possible.

Better think about using your two-node DRBD as a iSCSI portal for the virtual
machines. Your can set this up with three nodes making the virtual machines
free moveable between all nodes in the cluster.

Greetings,

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
Guardinistr. 63