[DRBD-user] Antwort: Three node cluster?

Robert.Koeppl at knapp.com Robert.Koeppl at knapp.com
Mon Apr 16 09:29:42 CEST 2012

IIRC three active nodes are not supported by DRBD.
You will have to resort to a shared storage solution. I am not entirely
sure if a NFS-Server managed by Pacemaker with a backing DRBD would be
fast enough and how well KVM handles the outage in case of a failover of
the Cluster.
In this Environment you would have two dedicated servers for the
storage-cluster and combine them with a bunch of "pizzaboxes" that run the
Virtual Machines in another pacemaker cluster. As a decent storage backend
(bunch of 15k SAS-drives, Raid-controller+BBU) easily costs much more than
those small servers you might even get away with about the same cost -
depending on the number of disks you had planned for your cluster.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Robert Köppl

Customer Support & Projects
Teamleader IT Support

KNAPP Systemintegration GmbH
Waltenbachstraße 9
8700 Leoben, Austria
Phone: +43 3842 805-322
Fax: +43 3842 82930-500
robert.koeppl at knapp.com
www.KNAPP.com

Commercial register number: FN 138870x
Commercial register court: Leoben

The information in this e-mail (including any attachment) is confidential
and intended to be for the use of the addressee(s) only. If you have
received the e-mail by mistake, any disclosure, copy, distribution or use
of the contents of the e-mail is prohibited, and you must delete the
e-mail from your system. As e-mail can be changed electronically KNAPP
assumes no responsibility for any alteration to this e-mail or its
attachments. KNAPP has taken every reasonable precaution to ensure that
any attachment to this e-mail has been swept for virus. However, KNAPP
does not accept any liability for damage sustained as a result of such
attachment being virus infected and strongly recommend that you carry out
your own virus check before opening any attachment.

Björn Enroth <bjorn at comnia.com>
Gesendet von: drbd-user-bounces at lists.linbit.com
16.04.2012 09:09

An
drbd-user at lists.linbit.com
Kopie

Thema
[DRBD-user] Three node cluster?

Guys,
I am looking for information of how to deal with a KVM three node cluster
with DRBD

I have a "baby machine" ubuntu 11.10 pacemaker/drbd cluster with two
nodes, local disks with drbd setup in between. This is working flawless.

My challenge now is that I want to add a third node with the same setup.
How do I handle drbd in this setup? I'd like to have all nodes active, to
be able to migrate resources, mainly kvm virtual guests, around the
cluster as I see fit. I'd also like pacemaker to be able to dynamically
handle the load.

I've been surfing' around for a while... Either I am not able to find the
right information, or it is so obvious how to handle this so I am missing
the point somewhere. Or, in worst case, this is not possible and I need to
enter another route to make this work as I want.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance for your patience with me