[DRBD-user] Backup issues with OCFS2

Dirk Bonenkamp - ProActive dirk at proactive.nl
Fri Apr 13 08:09:06 CEST 2012

Hi All,

I'm still having issues with backing up this file system. I've followed
the advice and used LVM under my DRBD device (Disk -> LVM -> DRBD -> OCFS2).

I can create a snapshot (I have to run a fsck.ocfs2 on this snaphot
after cloning the volume every time). I mount the snapshot read only
with local filelocks.

The performance of this snapshot volume is even worse than the original
volume.... Performance (on the original volume and the snapshot volume)
seems to degrade when the numbers of files in a directory rise. When I
say performance, I mean 'operations where every file needs to be
checked' like rsync or 'find . -mtime -1 print'. Performance for my
application is great (writing a couple of thousand files a day and
reading a couple of 100.000 a day) dd tests give me 200 MB/s writes and
600 MB/s reads.

Am I missing something here, or will this setup just never work for my
backups...?

Kind regards,

Dirk

PS: I understand that this is more an OCFS2 issue than a DRBD thing...