[DRBD-user] Unable to perform initial sync

Dan Barker dbarker at visioncomm.net
Tue Apr 10 21:16:31 CEST 2012

That is part of the story. You most likely have some protocol issues (thus
the log entries).

Why would you experiment with cross-version drbd? You should have the
easiest results with both servers at the same, recent level.

You would need to verify the kernel module and userland program versions on
both servers, the commands run, and the relevant dmesg logs from both sides
for folks to help you on this problem.

... BTW ...

Are you aware that if you do not care about the contents of the disks, you
don't have to sync all the zeros? You can create up-to-date disks instantly,
and then put a file system on it. Everything will be in sync. The first
verify will find a bunch of out-of-sync blocks, but they are in the
filesystem's free space and are synced by simply doing a
disconnect/reconnect on the secondary node. It really speeds up initial
setup, expecially with multi-terabyte resources. (See new-current-uuid in
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-8.3/re-drbdsetup.html; syntax may be
different on 8.3 versions).

Dan