[DRBD-user] Unable to perform initial sync

Vyacheslav Karpukhin vyacheslav at karpukhin.com
Tue Apr 10 20:48:53 CEST 2012

On 11.04.2012, at 0:36, Dan Barker wrote:

> I do not understand what you did or are trying to do. In Sync has no
> "direction". If you are in sync from Primary to Secondary, you are in  sync
> period. There is no reason to think about a direction.

I'm talking about direction because in my case sync from server B to server A works fine, but from server A to server B -- fails.

Since it's initial sync of newly created volume, it doesn't matter for me which of the hosts to make Primary, and which -- Secondary. So, that initial sync may be performed in two directions -- from server A to server B, or from server B to server A.

In my case when I mark server B as primary, everything is fine, drbd synchronizes from B to A. But if instead I mark server A as primary, synchronization won't perform -- there are protocol errors in the log.

I tried to use different versions of drbd, and found out that this issue starts with 8.3.11. Right now drbd performs synchronization from A to B with 8.3.10, but I couldn't make it do that with 8.3.11, 8.3.12 and 8.4.1.

In my experiments each time I do the following:
1) "create-md" on both servers
2) starting the resource on both servers
3) marking one of the servers as primary