[DRBD-user] Sync speed (getting to the limit)

Brian R. Hellman brian at linbit.com
Fri Apr 6 03:10:15 CEST 2012

On 04/05/2012 05:58 PM, Marcelo Pereira wrote:
> Hi DRBD masters,
>
> I have been trying to push the sync speed to the limit, as the server
> was offline for a while and I will release it for general use only
> after it's sync'ed. So, nobody is using and I can use full speed.
>
> I have two servers, each one connected to a NAS unit through a CAT6
> cable, no switches in between. It's 1000 Mpbs full duplex, as the
> ethtool says.
>
> I tried to push to the limit, issuing the following:
>
> [~]# /sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 syncer -r 685M
Please note that this rate is in MB/sec not Mb/s, ideally you should set
it around 80% of your connection speed. On 1Gbe the max is around
120MB/sec, but in reality, due to overhead, you won't get that.

> I can't go beyond 685M, as it says it's not a valid parameter (from
> 686 and beyond).At this point, it is going dramatically fast, as the
> original configuration (10M) was forecasting 190 hours to sync...
> (16h, in this case, is a charm). How can I know if it's the faster it
> can go???
Check iperf to get the base speed of your ethernet controllers, then
check to see how fast your storage can go.  Whatever is slower will be
your bottleneck, tune from there.

Check here for further details.
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/p-performance.html

Best regards,
Brian

--

: Brian Hellman
: LINBIT | "Your Way to High Availability"