[DRBD-user] block: BARRIER is deprecated, use FLUSH/FUA instead

Maurits van de Lande M.vandeLande at VDL-Fittings.com
Thu Apr 5 16:59:10 CEST 2012

Thanks for the feedback!

I added Lars en florians comments to the elrepo bug report, it should be easily fixed I suppose.

Maurits

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: drbd-user-bounces at lists.linbit.com [mailto:drbd-user-bounces at lists.linbit.com] Namens Florian Haas
Verzonden: donderdag 5 april 2012 16:32
Aan: drbd-user at lists.linbit.com
Onderwerp: Re: [DRBD-user] block: BARRIER is deprecated, use FLUSH/FUA instead

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Lars Ellenberg <lars.ellenberg at linbit.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 08:56:52AM +0000, Maurits van de Lande wrote:
>> >Well you've mentioned here you're already working with Linbit, so
>> >what did they say about this? Surely the same issue would appear >on
>> >vmhost6a and vmhost6b whose configurations you've previously posted
>> >here
>> Yes the same issue occurs on all vmhostxx clusters. Linbit was
>> looking at the performance issues, they didn't check that bug report.
>> Maybe I should ask Linbit again. When I posted the bug at elrepo they
>> said they think it is a harmless warning.
>>
>> Hopefully we get a reply from Linbit regarding this subject.
>
> It is a harmless warning.
> The impact is neither barriers nor flush/fua will be available.
>
> It is caused by RHEL kernel being "kABI compatible" in theory, but in
> fact changed the semantics of bio bitfields completely, between 6.0
> and 6.1.

OK. Then the situation is exactly the same as I explained here months ago:

http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2011-August/016628.html

And funnily enough, that same email was also quoted here:
http://elrepo.org/bugs/view.php?id=210

> Packages built by Linbit do not trigger this warning, and work
> correctly, afaik.
>
> I can't say what the centos packages do wrong, but I assume they have
> been built against 6.0 kernel headers, and now loaded into a 6.1 or
> later binary kernel.
>
> I suggest to rebuild against the correct headers.

That, too, is in http://elrepo.org/bugs/view.php?id=210

So it seems we need a cluebat for the ELrepo folks. Or is this something that's really easy to get wrong during a build?

Florian