[DRBD-user] block: BARRIER is deprecated, use FLUSH/FUA instead

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Apr 5 15:30:45 CEST 2012

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 08:56:52AM +0000, Maurits van de Lande wrote:
> >Well you've mentioned here you're already working with Linbit, so
> >what did they say about this? Surely the same issue would appear >on
> >vmhost6a and vmhost6b whose configurations you've previously posted
> >here
> Yes the same issue occurs on all vmhostxx clusters. Linbit was looking
> at the performance issues, they didn't check that bug report. Maybe I
> should ask Linbit again. When I posted the bug at elrepo they said
> they think it is a harmless warning.
>
> Hopefully we get a reply from Linbit regarding this subject.

It is a harmless warning.
The impact is neither barriers nor flush/fua will be available.

It is caused by RHEL kernel being "kABI compatible" in theory,
but in fact changed the semantics of bio bitfields completely,
between 6.0 and 6.1.

Packages built by Linbit do not trigger this warning,
and work correctly, afaik.

I can't say what the centos packages do wrong,
but I assume they have been built against 6.0 kernel headers,
and now loaded into a 6.1 or later binary kernel.

I suggest to rebuild against the correct headers.

--
: Lars Ellenberg