[DRBD-user] Antwort: Re: Hardware-recomendation needed

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Mon Apr 2 18:24:29 CEST 2012

On 04/02/2012 03:41 AM, Robert.Koeppl at knapp.com wrote:

> The main downside of using a switch in your DRBD interlink is that you
> add another component that can - and at the worst possible time will -
> fail. If using a switched network use it with two network cards, two
> switches and Active/passive bonding. Otherwise you have the switch as
> single point of failure.

Two links in Active/Passive across two switches is exactly how I do it.
I also ensure that nothing but DRBD uses those interfaces. I also do the
same for a dedicated cluster communication network.

https://alteeve.com/w/2-Node_Red_Hat_KVM_Cluster_Tutorial#Network

There are other benefits to switches; Bandwidth monitoring, cable
diagnostics, etc.

Now with all this said; I think I will try to squeeze some time to run
some benchmarks with and without switches when I return to my lab. I'd
much rather have numbers to back positions in debates like this. :)

--
Digimer