[DRBD-user] Hardware-recomendation needed

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Mon Apr 2 10:09:03 CEST 2012

On 04/02/2012 12:55 AM, Felix Frank wrote:
> On 04/02/2012 09:49 AM, Digimer wrote:
>> I don't think it's fair to say using switches
>> is, itself, dumb.
>
> I didn't mean to imply that. If I came around that way, I apologize.
>
> All I meant to say was that you should *not* do it, if at all avoidable.
> (Yes, I have sent DRBD without dedicated links in production, too.)
>
> Thanks for pointing that out.
>
> Cheers,
> Felix

I've found that having switches can be helpful. One example; If an
interface drops, it can be easier to see which side dropped because the
switch will provide the link. With good switches, there is no
perceptible performance hit, either. So not to beat the issue, but I
don't even agree with the argument that direct link is overly preferable
to using switches.

I'm open to being shown why I am wrong though (seriously :) ). Do you
have any testing numbers or arguments against using a switch?

--
Digimer