[DRBD-user] compile drbd 8.4.1 kernel 3.3

Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa ildefonso.camargo at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 02:23:21 CEST 2012

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 8:33 AM, Christophe Bouder
<Christophe.bouder at lip6.fr> wrote:
> Le 27/03/2012 17:21, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa a écrit :
>
>> crashes, you should avoid doing that. Now, last, but not least: if you
>> want to still use 3.3 kernel, you are likely have to wait, or try git HEAD
>> for drbd, instead of 8.4.1 (even then, I'm not sure if it will work on 3.3
>> kernel)... however, that's, also, not yet stable, and thus: increased bug
>> probability.
>
> i have already all my server in production with kernel 3.2.X and drbd 8.4.1
> and everything is fine
> but no kernel 3.3 with drbd even with the last dev of drbd
> but no problem i will be patient.

No need to hurry into next kernel version, keep up with the 3.2
releases (that you are already using) until you really need to update
(for example, if you need newest features or hardware support), if you
see at kernel.org you will note there are 8 stable versions, all of
them are maintained, so, you can safely stay with any of the stable
releases for quite some time.

Also, some Linux distributions (Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat / CentOS /
Scientific Linux among others) maintain kernel versions for longer
than kernel.org (including security and stability), so, really, don't
take the extra administration overhead if you don't need to, your time
is valuable, and you can invest it on more interesting things than
compiling kernels.

Sincerely,

Ildefonso Camargo